Learn to procedurally program meshes in Unity, from simple shapes to complex terrain and infinite fractal landscapes.
Created by: Jenny Hide
Produced in 2022
What you will learn
- Use Unity to generate complex meshes from code.
- Create realistic looking landscapes with Perlin and fractal noise.
- Program two and three dimensional shapes.
- Procedurally generate meshes for both 2D terrain and 3D landscapes.
- Use your knowledge of meshes to add vertex colours, and calculate UVs, normals and tangents.
Overall Score : 84 / 100
Live Chat with CourseDuck's Co-Founder for Help
Learn, Understand and Master Procedural Generation with this Intermediate Unity Course.
- Learn about the different properties of a mesh.
- Create two and three dimensional shapes.
- Calculate UVs, normals, tangents and vertex colours.
- Understand how to use Perlin and fractal noise to generate 2D terrain and 3D landscapes.
- Learn how to program large and infinite landscapes for you game.
In this course, you will learn to procedurally generate meshes from geometric objects to worlds with randomly generated terrain. Many popular games use some form of procedural generation, from Minecraft to Dwarf Fortress. Mesh generation is just one aspect of procedural generation which encompasses topics such as texture generation, object placement, and even story generation.
By the end of this course, you'll be able to generate unique and impressive landscapes from code ready to use in your games. Source code is included to help you on your way.
I designed this course to be easily understood by intermediate level coders and users of Unity with no previous experience of mesh generation.
I present examples of increasing difficulty designed to help you to understand exactly how mesh generation is done, and guide you through the theory behind it so that you can be confident in creating your own meshes.
For extra support, you can ask questions in the Q&A section, and I've provided the completed code examples for download in each Section. You'll receive a certificate of completion once you finish the course.Who this course is for:
- Intermediate level Unity developers who want to learn procedural mesh generation.
- This course is not for people new to Unity or C#.
I'm Jenny, a freelance and indie game developer with over 6 years of professional programming experience. I have a Masters degree in Physics with Astrophysics and a PhD in Quantum Information.
I've released a number of games and enjoy teaching and sharing the knowledge I've gained. I've worked with General Interactive Co. to code and design a winemaking tycoon game called Terroir and a mystery/adventure/management game called Chinatown Detective Agency. I'm also making Cultivate: Before Time, a farming meets mystery game with time travel and dinosaurs!
My Udemy courses are aimed at those learning game development - whether that's coding or game design.