Learn version control with git, SourceTree and GitHub from scratch using Unity games as the example. Best practices.
Created by: Ben Tristem
Produced in 2022
What you will learn
- Learn the key concepts of the Git source control system
- Install git on Windows, MacOS and Linux
- Install the slick visual tool SourceTree on Windows, MacOS and Linux
- Be aware of other visual tools including GitKracken and GitHub Desktop
- Use .gitignore files intelligently to track only what matters
- Create "feature branches" to allow you to explore new ideas safely
- "Push" your work to GitHub or BitBucket for backup & sharing
- Understand how to use the command line when necessary
- Understand more about how the tool you use really works by watching file changes
- Be prepared to collaborate on your project with others professionally
Overall Score : 96 / 100
Live Chat with CourseDuck's Co-Founder for Help
Learning version control can be tricky and boring, we're here to make it easy and fun. Using game development as the example project, we'll be showing step-by-step how to get into git (get it?).
By the end of the course you'll have an indispensable tool, that will allow you to...
- Protect your valuable work using git version control.
- Explore creative options using Atlassian's SourceTree & the terminal / command line.
- Backup efficiently to the Internet, specifically GitHub but GitLab and BitBucket are mentioned.
- Learn all the common version control workflows that you'll need day-to-day.
- Lay the foundations for collaboration with others.
Your instructor Ben Tristem is the founder of GameDev tv, and has taught 100,000s of students to code and use creative software from scratch, so you're in good hands. No prior experience of version control, git, or coding required.
We'll be covering Windows, however MacOS and Linux users can also follow along with a little modification.
Let's dive in and get this mini super-power learnt in no time!Who this course is for:
- Anyone specifically interested in learning Git
- Anyone interested in using "source control", or "version control"
- Unity and other game developers who want to version their work
- Freelancers and creatives who want to learn a super-solid new tool
Hi, I'm Ben. I have a degree in computing from Imperial College London, and a physics diploma from the Open University.
I started working for myself at the age of 15, and never looked back. I explored careers as varied as being a commercial pilot, stunt-man, rock climbing instructor, and more. None of these provided a continued challenge, and stable income in the same way technology does.
After building and selling a home computer support business, I became an angel investor and business mentor here in Cambridge UK. I fell in love with teaching game development through one of my investments, and I now spend all of my time sharing my passion with people like you.
I can't wait to help you experience the fulfilment, and financial freedom, that having a deep understanding of technology brings.
So why not start learning to make games with me and my team now? Click the world link to see all of my team's courses.
See you soon!
Ben GameDev tv was created by best-selling Udemy instructor Ben Tristem to help anyone learn how to develop, design, and sell indie games. Our team supports Ben in making and maintaining high quality courses that are engaging and entertaining for our students.
GameDev tv offers comprehensive courses on Unity, Blender, Unreal and coding in C#, C++ and more. Looking to learn about a topic that we don't cover? Visit our community page and let us know.