A Beginner's Guide to Essential Mathematics, Data Structures and Algorithms used in Game Programming applied in Unity
Created by: Penny de Byl
Produced in 2022
What you will learn
- How to use bitwise operations to optimise processing and storage in games.
- Everything there is to know about vector mathematics and how to navigate in 2D and 3D space.
- The principles and practice behind collision detection with lines, line segments and ray casting.
- The beauty of affine transformations and the fundamentals in transforming game objects.
- What a quaternion is and how it is used to rotate game objects.
- How to build a mathematics library in C# from scratch.
Overall Score : 96 / 100
Live Chat with CourseDuck's Co-Founder for Help
In this course you will build your own C# classes to work with the geometrical constructs of 2D and 3D space that will develop your understanding of positioning and moving game objects. In short you will build your own maths library to replicate some of Unity's Vector2, Vector3, Matrix4x4 and some Mathf methods. Throughout, we will be using the Unity Game Engine to help emphasise the mathematics concepts.
Join Dr Penny de Byl as she introduces game development mathematics using her internationally acclaimed holistic teaching style and expertise from over 25 years of teaching, research and work in games and computer graphics. Through-out the course you will follow along with hands-on workshops designed to teach you the vital mathematical techniques used in programming computer game mechanics and visuals.
During the course we will be building a game that not only uses the code we've written to move 2D and 3D objects around on the screen, but to play the game you will have to use your knowledge of points and vectors to solve puzzles that will reinforce your learning. You will also build numerous mini projects to apply mathematical concepts and see how they work in games environments.
Learn how to program and work with:
- Bitwise Operations, Bit Packing and Bitboards
- 2D and 3D Space
- Mapping from one coordinate system to another
- Positioning Objects
- Brilliant course. Might be the most helpful course I've found on Udemy so far. Penny is an amazing instructor. Even by the end of the first section learned super valuable information that I can apply to my games.
- Early in the program but already learned enough to make the purchase price worthwhile.
- As always, the professor delivers a great, clear course on a badly needed subject to learn. She is so knowledgeable and can impart her knowledge to her students. I recommend all her courses and her YouTube channel.
- Beginner game development students who want to be able to understand the mathematics behind game engines.
- Skilled programmers keen to move into 2D and 3D game development spaces.
- Game development enthusiasts who want a deeper understanding of how mathematics is applied in games.
- Anyone with an appreciation of mathematics who wants to investigate how it is applied in computer game environments.
Hi, I'm Dr Penny de Byl. I'm a full stack developer of most things computer sciency and academic with a true passion for teaching. I've been teaching others about games development, programming, computer graphics, animation and web design for over 25 years in universities in Australia and Europe at the full professor level. I've also consulted for Unity, SAE, the Australian Institute of Entertainment and Wikitude. My best selling textbooks including Holistic Game Development with Unity are used in over 100 institutions world-wide. My graduates work at companies like Apple, Ubisoft, LinkedIn and Deloitte Digital.
I have an honours degree in computer graphics and a Ph.D. in artificial intelligence for games characters. Over the course of my career I've won numerous awards for teaching excellence at the state, national and international levels including the Australian Learning and Teaching Council's Excellence in Teaching Award and the Unity Mobile Game Curriculum Competition. My approach to teaching computer science and related fields is project-based giving you hands-on workshops you can immediately get your teeth into.
I want you to leave my virtual classroom fully armed with a toolkit of skills for life-long learning. I'm excited to now be focussing my efforts full-time on Udemy to bring my years of knowledge and experience to those eager to learn about technology.
Hi, I'm Dr Penny de Byl. I'm a full stack developer of most things computer sciency and academic w