Every line of code explained. Learn PHP, PDO, MySQL & phpMyAdmin to create data driven websites. Award winning teacher.
Created by: Patrick at Coding.Academy
Produced in 2020
What you will learn
- Create a database
- Create database tables
- Populate a database table manually via phpMyAdmin
- Populate a database table via a CSV file
- Populate a database table via a SQL dump
- Connect to a database using a PHP PDO connection
- Understand the CRUD acronym
- Create records in a database table via PHP
- Read records from a database table via PHP
- Update records in a database table via PHP
- Delete records from a database table via PHP
- Use HTML forms to create, read, update and delete records
- Use Bootstrap to style forms and tables
Overall Score : 96 / 100
This course is intended for those who wish to develop their understanding and skills in PHP and MySQL in order to develop data driven websites.
Every line of code is explained as I teach. The lessons are kept short and to the point.
STUDENT REVIEW: "Patrick is an excellent, thorough and easy to understand teacher. I bought this course as soon as it was available because I was so impressed with his first course. Thank you Patrick!" 5 STARS
STUDENT REVIEW: "I learned a lot in this "close to real live" education. It was very helpful to get into connection with some important things close to PHP. By taking a look at bootstrap, emmet, SQL and little bit of CSS and other things was very helpful to get an overview of the most important tools and languages around PHP. I really love to listen to and learn from Patrick. He is giving very good and easy to understand comprehensive explanations, he is setting tasks that are a challenge but feasible and he is showing the solutions. By listening to all that and writing the code myself in the tasks I really learned a lot. Great Stuff !" 5 STARS
STUDENT REVIEW: "An amazing course. Very good for beginners." 5 STARS
The unique difference about my courses is that you are given exercises to complete after each section. This enables you to try what you have learnt with my full support. Students who have taken this course appreciate the level of clear explanation and strengthening of their skills.
The course has been developed following years of teaching students in a real classroom environment and watching and analysing their reactions to new concepts. Therefore, each lesson has been designed to quickly help you understand the processes involved in connecting to and actively using databases within websites.
At the end of the course you will be able to:
- create a database using phpMyAdmin
- use a SQL dump to create a MySQL database table and populate it
- use a CSV file to populate a MySQL database table
- change database user permissions using phpMyAdmin
- connect to a MySQL database using a PDO connection
- understand the acronym CRUD
- create, read, update and delete records using phpMyAdmin
- create, read, update and delete records using PHP
- create an input form using HTML
- create, read, update and delete records by using a HTML form and PHP
- use Bootstrap to style the input form
- use Font Awesome to add some icons for edit and delete actions
- present database table records in a table and style it using Bootstrap
You are free to use ANY development environment including the one that you are already using (if any). Otherwise, I highly recommend using CodeAnywhere to write your PHP code. However, please note that CodeAnywhere is a PAID option. Again, please note that using it is OPTIONAL.
If you have never coded PHP before then you may not be aware that the code needs to be run by the server engine prior to being displayed on your browser as HTML. You therefore need to set up your server environment correctly. If you do not have experience of setting up a server environment then simply use CodeAnywhere.
Due to the huge number of possible platforms and editors I cannot offer support for third party development environments. However, I will happily support you if using CodeAnywhere as it is the editor I use throughout this course.
There are many additional benefits of using CodeAnywhere including:
- there is a free 7 day trial if you would like to test the environment. If you do like it then you can get the paid version for only $3 per month (or $1.50 with 50% off voucher code). Otherwise feel free to use any alternative PHP development environment.
- it is cloud based so you can use any computer to login
- if you are having any issues with code during the course you can share your code easily with me
- if you need additional help with your server then I can log in and help (provided you are willing to allow me)
- if you wish to upgrade CodeAnywhere to a professional account later then you can (otherwise just use the free version)
MY PROMISES TO YOU
As a registered teacher (yes, I teach in a real classroom every day) I strongly believe it is my job to ensure you feel totally supported when taking my classes. I therefore promise the following:
- to respect you as a student and individual with your own learning needs
- to be courteous and polite in our interactions
- to answer your questions promptly
- to fix any issues you may encounter with the lessons
- to respond promptly to feedback
Join the course today.
Who this course is for:
- Absolute beginners to using MySQL with PHP or those wishing to refresh their basic skills.
- This is NOT a course for advanced users.
Patrick has over 30 years of coding experience. If you want to learn PHP then his PHP for Beginners course has been followed by over 5000 students and is perfect for beginners