176 Best + Free Introduction to Computer Science Courses & Certification [UPDATED]
As featured on Harvard EDU, Stackify and Inc - CourseDuck identifies and rates the Best Introduction to Computer Science Courses, Tutorials, Providers and Certifications, based on 12,000+ student reviews, public mentions, recommendations, ratings and polling 5,000+ highly active StackOverFlow members. Learn more
- 1. Introduction to Computer Science and Programming Using Python [edX]
- 2. An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python [Coursera]
- 3. The Data Scientist's Toolbox [Coursera]
- 4. Front-End Web Development with React [Coursera]
- 5. Introduction to Computational Thinking and Data Science [edX]
- 6. Introduction to Data Science in Python [Coursera]
- 7. Introduction to Structured Query Language (SQL) [Coursera] - Best Advanced Course
- 9. Introduction to R for Data Science [edX]
- 10. Introduction to Computer Science and Programming Using Python [edX]
Introduction to Computer Science and Programming Using Python (2013)
- Designed to be a first-ever experience with computer science. This is the ultimate beginner-friendly course.
- Designed by MIT.
- Large pool of exercises and supplemental resources to expand the concepts taught in the course.
- Community resources encourage students to help each other.
- Course is best followed by purchasing the supplemental textbook, raising the overall cost.
- Focuses more on data science than most introductory Python courses.
- This 8-week course might really take 8 weeks to complete.
An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (2013)
- Two-part split makes it much easier for beginners to break into Python programming.
- A total of 30 hours of course material creates a comprehensive learning experience.
- By focusing on building a game from the ground up, application of the course feels more intuitive and enjoyable than more theoretical teaching methods.
- Course focuses on peer grading, which can be inconsistent.
- Part 1 focuses more on programming in general than the deeper aspects of using Python specifically.
- Project-focused learning will not suit students who excel in theoretical environments.
The Data Scientist's Toolbox (2019)
- Course takes a light introduction on a broad range of topics that all apply to data science. Great preparation for a full-dive, multicourse adventure into data science.
- Covers mindset of data science in a way most courses skip.
- Course ensures that you have the tools to take on a journey to truly master data science.
- Course covers a substantial range of data science tools. Accessing all of them can potentially add a hefty price tag to completing the course.
- Course is not a Capstone project. It is intended to prepare for a data science Capstone project.
- Course teaches very little data science itself. It is more like going over the syllabus and prerequisites before diving into real learning.
Front-End Web Development with React (2018)
- Course does not require an extensive background in coding or computer science.
- Course will take newcomers by the hand to make an easy introduction into React development.
- Course is built around a master project that will be revisited throughout. Helps to focus the learning.
- Course is introductory. This is not a comprehensive course on professional-grade usage of React. Advanced students will be disappointed.
- Course neglects automated testing.
- Supplemental help comes primarily from forums rather than from direct interaction with the instructor.
Introduction to Computational Thinking and Data Science (2015)
- Covers some of the most common and important algorithms in all of programming.
- Supplemental MIT resources are available that make this into a master class in computational science.
- Completing the substantial challenges in this course is richly rewarding and will help develop a strong understanding of data science.
- Prerequisites are not to be taken lightly. This course covers deep topics related to data scientists and assumes a strong background in Python.
- Course is difficult and will overwhelm students who are not prepared to be challenged.
- Trying this course without first completely 6.00.1x can prove prohibitively difficult.