This six-week online course was developed by the University of Helsinki. It mirrors the university class that covers the basics of computer programming, algorithms and object-oriented programming with Java. A follow-up six-week course is available upon completion of this introductory course.
Produced in 2013
What you will learn
- Six unique tasks solved by Java programming.
- How to set up and manage Integrated Development Environment (IDE).
- Basics of Java syntax.
- Basics of object-oriented programming.
- Familiarity with NetBeans and IntelliJ.
- Checking code viability with Test My Code.
Course Depth & Coverage
Overall Score : 96 / 100
Live Chat with CourseDuck's Co-Founder for Help
java Awards Best Free Course
Welcome to University of Helsinki's massive open online course (MOOC) on object-oriented programming!During this course you will learn all the basics of computer programming, algorithms and object-oriented programming using the Java programming language. The course includes comprehensive course materials and plenty of programming exercises, each tested using our automatic testing service Test My Code.Anyone can join - no previous programming knowledge is required.Unlike many programming courses found online, ours is completely unabridged: the course's scope and material are identical to our own CS1 programming courses. This first part consists of 6 sets of tasks, corresponding to the 6 weeks of effort in the course taught at our department.This is the first course in our computer science learning track and we use industry strength tools from day one. Therefore the course is about programming in a real integrated development environment (IDE) and not in the browser or an educational IDE.
- Course is run by a university and includes certificates of achievement.
- Beginner-friendly approach to Java and object-oriented programming. Absolutely no coding background is necessary.
- Clear, manageable pace for first-time coders.
- Additional six-week course is available upon completion for a deeper understanding of the covered concepts.
- Program was originally crafted in Finnish and does offer minor language barriers in English.
- Does not include community support expected with traditional massively online courses.
- Much more time intensive than comparable courses.
- Does not get beyond the most basic application of introductory concepts.
Students also recommend
4.8 (12 Reviews)
- Provider: University of Helsinki MOOC
4.4 (50 Reviews)
- Provider: Udemy
- Time: 16h
4.5 (13 Reviews)
- Provider: YouTube
- Time: 22h