IIT Bombay and edX are the masterminds behind this course on 3D modeling. By focusing on an open-source animation tool, Blender, the course gives students access to powerful animation resources that can be used in all manners of communication. After just four weeks, students will develop comfort with Blender and be able to render unique animations.
Created by: Sameer Sahasrabudhe
Produced in 2018
Overall Score : 0 / 100
Live Chat with CourseDuck's Co-Founder for Help
blender Awards Best Free Course
This course uses open-source 3D animation tool Blender, to create a sustainable solution for animation skill development. Individuals interested in developing skill sets for 3D animation should take this course in order to learn the nuances of 3D modeling and Blender. The course has 4 weeks of content, which cover the basics of modelling, texturing, and lighting.
The course comprises slow paced video tutorials, quizzes, activities, and hands-on assignments. During the course learners will create 3D models of simple objects. The course uses video tutorials to explain the concepts and the software process required to create these objects. Course tutorials enable the learners to apply these concepts and create similar/new objects.
This course focuses only on modeling of non-organic objects (not covering character modeling).
This course is a prerequisite for Basic 3D animation using Blender.
- Deeply explores visualization concepts to take the course beyond a simple how to of Blender.
- Splits time evenly between modelling, texturing and lighting to create a holistic instruction of the primary elements of 3D rendering.
- Healthy mix of tutorials, quizzes and hands-on learning provides a complete approach to mastering animation skills.
- Course has very little student feedback. The direct experience is largely unknown.
- Course relies heavily on student collaboration, which can be challenging in an online environment.
- Course primarily exists as a prerequisite for the more advanced Basic 3D Animation Using Blender.
Dr. Sameer S Sahasrabudhe works as Senior Project Research Scientist, at the Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Bombay. He has a graduation in fine arts, post graduate diplomas in animation film making and distance education, and a doctorate in the area of eLearning animation. He has a cumulative experience of 18 years, in the areas of advertising, animation film production, eLearning content creation, research, and teaching. He has bagged awards at national and international film festivals. As an evangelist of open source 3D animation software: Blender, he has conducted several workshops, on Blender animation, and has presented at various conferences. His courses on IITBombayX platform have been well received.