11 Best + Free Game Development Fundamentals Courses & Certification [UPDATED]
As featured on Harvard EDU, Stackify and Inc - CourseDuck identifies and rates the Best Game Development Fundamentals Courses, Tutorials, Providers and Certifications, based on 12,000+ student reviews, public mentions, recommendations, ratings and polling 5,000+ highly active StackOverFlow members. Learn more
- 1. CS50's Introduction to Game Development [edX] - Best Free Course
- 2. Unity Playground [Unity Learn] - Best Practical Course
- 3. Learn Unity Game Development in ONE HOUR - COMPLETE COURSE [YouTube] - Best Crash Course
- 4. Complete C# Unity Developer 3D: Learn to Code Making Games [Udemy] - Best Paid Course
- 5. Unity Game Development Course  [YouTube] - Best NEW Course
- 6. Game Programming Patterns  - Best Text Based Course
- 7. Game Development for Modern Platforms [Coursera] - Best Advanced Course
- 8. Game Development Masterpack [Eduonix]
- 9. Game Institute Courses [Game Institute]
Complete C# Unity Developer 2D: Learn to Code Making Games (2018)
- One of the most practical courses in teaching object-oriented programming.
- Course truly does not rely on prior programming experience.
- Course is updated regularly to stay relevant with the latest Unity updates.
- Course will take more time and effort for true beginners. Theyll have to lean into supplemental resources.
- Course does not even dip toes into more advanced uses of C# and Unity.
- Unity bugs can make it hard to know when a failure is yours or the platforms.
CS50's Introduction to Game Development (2018)
- Course is the 2nd in a series. For a more complete learning experience, the entire series can be studied for free.
- Project-focused learning ensures that anyone who completes the course will have made their first video game.
- Course can be taken for college credit through Harvard University.
- Professional certificate costs $150.
- Course is designed at an intermediate level. Beginners cannot start here.
- Course is only free if you do not want college credit.
Unity Playground (2018)
- You can completely abandon structure and learn through games and other fun no-code experiences.
- The Playground is supported with courses, tutorials and live learning sessions, all included with the Playground.
- This is perhaps the most hands-on approach to learning that exists on the internet.
- The lack of structure can be prohibitive. Finding the right course as a starting point is a guessing game.
- Going beyond the no-code experience and getting into C# will likely require external resources.
- Its easy to get overwhelmed. Without an abnormal drive or love of Unity, students are likely to hit dead ends and give up.
Learn Unity Game Development in ONE HOUR - COMPLETE COURSE (2018)
- The short time investment is abnormally accessible, and it still delivers quality instructional content.
- This video provides just enough information to prevent students from getting lost in the Unity Playground.
- Every concept is demonstrated with actual game development.
- This course alone is not enough to become a Unity developer. It is only the first step.
- Course may set bad expectations for how important C# is to Unity development.
- Course creator does not interact with comments and offers no updates to content that is aging quickly.
Complete C# Unity Developer 3D: Learn to Code Making Games (2019)
Game Programming Patterns (2014)
Game Development for Modern Platforms
Unreal Engine C++ Developer: Learn C++ and Make Video Games (2015)
- Course takes a unique, appealing approach to fostering excitement among students. It works.
- Course is built on a real-world project. It delivers skill development right alongside practical theory.
- Course covers the development of multiple classic games.
- Some sections are behind schedule for updates, making them nigh obsolete.
- Course is too short in some game development areas.
- Pacing is inconsistent.